Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Being more than a healthcare professional

One of my professor's in occupational therapy school shared with us a heartbreaking story about her father via a blog she had written.  This was the story of a healthy, active man that acquired a rare form of brain cancer.  The blog post told of his journey/battle with this cancer and the impact that his illness had on his family, including my professor.  I was touched by this man's life while also appalled at some of the service he and his family received from so-called "health professionals".  As a future occupational therapist, I would like to believe that all healthcare providers try their best to provide the best care possible to their patients and really go above and beyond to make their patients comfortable.  Unfortunately, it seemed that the majority of the healthcare providers in his story had become complacent and satisfied with doing the minimum amount.  I hope I can remember the story my professor shared with us for the entirety of my career, at all times, good days and bad days, with frustrating and great patients.  I want to be a healthcare professional that goes above and beyond for my patients and their families.  I want to be a therapist that takes the time to care for each patient with my whole heart.  I want to be an OT that does the little extra to make a huge difference in patient's care.  I hope I become a better professional than these I read about in this story and I hope to inspire others to do more too.

1 comment:

  1. "I want to be a therapist that takes the time to care for each patient with my whole heart." Your post - and especially this statement - brought tears to my eyes, Audrey. Thank you for taking the time to read my family's story and for taking the lessons in the story to heart.

    ReplyDelete