Monday, May 22, 2017

Case Study: Bradley Walker

I did my case study on a guy named Bradley Walker.  Bradley is a country music singer. Bradley was born with congenital myopathy,  a form of muscular dystrophy. His diagnosis is non-progressive so he has been able to live a full life. He was diagnosed at birth and has been using a wheelchair his whole life. He dreams of being a famous singer so he is working around his muscle weakness in order to achieve his dreams. In my study, I focused on creating goals that that would help him gain independent living and mobility via a modified van. Mainly, I looked into ways that to work with this disabilities to help him accomplish the occupations and roles he deemed important.

Bradley said, "I’ve never questioned the hand I was dealt. If I hadn’t been dealt this hand, I might not have been given the gift of music that I love so much, and I wouldn’t be singing bluegrass to people. So I wouldn’t change a thing." This struck me because his occupation of singing was more important to him than his ability to walk. I think this is a key lesson for me as a future occupational therapist to learn. Sometimes helping people gain an occupation means so much more to them than their functional ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment